Tuesday, July 13, 2010

What's in a name? Everything.




One of the reasons I have put off starting a blog is because coming up with a name is so hard.  I am such a frustrated perfectionist, I was waiting for the perfect title to come to me before I wrote anything.

I wanted it to be meaningful and yet catchy.  

I wanted it to convey who I am and what is important to me.   

I wanted it to reflect more than just my status as wife and mom.

I had a few ideas, but none of them were right~  

The Sherer Family Blog---too boring
Life on the Edge of Nowhere--too negative
The Adventures of the Sherer Family--too limited

The lack of a title kept me from stepping out and trying something new.   Especially something that requires me to make myself so vulnerable.   And so I waited and waited and waited.  And while I waited, some unexpected changes began to happen in my life.  But, of course, I didn’t record them because I didn’t have a stupid blog title!  Ironically, it was those changes that ultimately provided the elusive title.   

We were offered an opportunity.  An opportunity that would require us to leave everything familiar behind and start from scratch.  It would be costly. It was scary and unthinkable. It was certainly risky.  More often than not, it seemed downright crazy.  

But we could not ignore the whispers we were hearing.  

Step out of your comfort zone.  

Try something radically different.  

I know the plans I have for you.  Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.  I WILL be found by you.

So we listened to that small, quiet voice.  And it led us to North Dakota.  

It is costly.

It is risky.

It is scary.

And yet there is peace and comfort knowing this is exactly where we are supposed to be.  Here, in the grassy plains, I want nothing more than to continue to listen to the whispers that will lead me through the life that I was created to live.   

Even when it isn’t perfect.

No comments: