Thursday, July 22, 2010

Apostrophe Not Needed








I tried to prevent it...I really did. 
But it was bound to happen sooner or later.
Unfortunately, it came sooner rather than later.
Only three blog posts in and I committed a grammatical error published for the world (well, all four of you that are actually reading) to see.  I knew better.  I promise you that I DO understand proper usage.  I NEVER misuse there, their and they’re.  I KNOW with NO hesitation when to use to, two or too.  I was raised by two grammar nazis after all.   
Yet, there it was.  “The sum is greater than it’s parts.”  OUCH!  Somehow, I had missed this loathsome offense over and over as I read and reread and edited my writing. 
Fortunately, I have people in my life (see above reference to grammar nazis) that have always been more than willing to point out my grammatical errors.  It was only a short time before I received an email from my mom kindly asking me to correct the grammar in my latest post.
I was mortified.  
Really?  How could I have missed that?  What did everyone (again, gross exaggeration) think?  
I quickly fixed the mistake and hoped for the best.  No real harm done, I suppose, except to my pride.   I was actually very thankful to have someone who cared enough about me to bring the matter to my attention in a loving way. 
Nonetheless, the mistake has continued to nag at me.  I have turned it over and over in my head trying to learn something from it other than just the obvious proofreading lesson.    
I keep coming back to Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
~Two are better than one,
       because they have a good return for their work:
   If one falls down,
       his friend can help him up.
       But pity the man who falls
       and has no one to help him up!
The fact is, I am not perfect.  Not.Even.Close.   I stumble and fall more often than I care to admit.   I blow it in big and small ways on an almost daily basis.   I can become so involved in a situation that I easily fail to recognize a mistake I am making.  I know this may be hard to believe (wink, wink), but I’ve even been known to willfully do the wrong thing on occasion.    I am pretty sure that I am not alone in this condition.
That is exactly why I need friends in my life to help me up when I fall.   Many times a friend has been able to see things that I am unable or unwilling to see.   Likewise, I want to be the kind of friend that is willing to help another up when they fall.   
It can be unpleasant and awkward to speak the truth in love to another.  It can be just as painful and humiliating to be on the receiving end of such a conversation.  
But it is absolutely necessary.
Because just like when trying to edit our own writing...two are better than one.  We get a better return for our work when we invite someone to walk alongside us.   Life just goes better when we have someone to help us up when we fall.
Sometimes it is just a gentle reminder to proofread better.  Or not to text and drive.  Or to be more patient with our kids or spouse.  
Other times, though, we need strong words to remind us of deeply important truths about who we are and what we value.    We need someone to sound the alarm when we are unaware that there is danger looming ahead of us.  
And so the lesson in my published grammar faux pas?
None of us are perfect.  
We all need friends to help us up from time to time.    
Make sure one of those friends is a grammar nazi.

5 comments:

Joy (Mom) said...

I probably wouldn't have mentioned it to anybody else, and you'll notice I wrote you a private email and didn't post it on your blog. But, coming myself from a grammar nazi, as you well remember, I couldn't help it! So, warn your children that Nana will probably be after them too. :)

Stella said...

Love it, Amy! Now that I'm aware of your Grammar Nazi upbringing, I am really paranoid about my own writing. I gave up on grammar when my brain cells died during the very long and sleepless season of my life called "pregnancy".

I am glad to count you as my friend. I know you have been there to help me up. I know you have been there for many others as well.

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly enjoy reading your blogs- the Grammar Nazi must have taught you how to write well- this coming from a 8th grade algebra teacher who struggles with every word on a letter. Thank God for Gary. Jacki sent me a blog that I thought you might enjoy http://www.myfirstkitchen.net/
and I wasn't sure if you saw Jessi's blog: http://jessidscott.blogspot.com/
enjoy! Margaret

Anonymous said...

Amy, I love reading your blogs! I haven't spoken to you in years so it is cool to imagine what has gone on in your life to give you such a talented gift of writing! I really enjoyed your last blog and sent it to a friend who is struggling in her marriage- I thought it was a perfect read for her. I remember having your dad as a professor at IUPUI- he was such a cool teacher-
Take care,
Shannon
p.s. ignore any grammatical errors b/c I am not proofreading this!!

Amy said...

Mom, I appreciate any editorial thoughts you want to throw my way. At least we come by our word nerdiness honestly! Really, I never had a chance...

Deb, Thank you for your encouragement. You have been a great friend to me, too and I miss you more than you know!

Margaret, Thank you, too! I appreciate your very kind words. And thanks for the info on Jessi's blog. I didn't know she had one! It has been so great to stay closer to you and your family through electronic means!

Shannon, You are too sweet. Stick around and I am sure you will get a better idea of the last uh...20 years. Whoa! Is that even possible???? Anyway, I cannot even tell you what a compliment that is for you to pass my blog on to a friend who is struggling in her marriage. To be able to help someone else through a tough time or offer hope and encouragement means everything to me. THANK YOU! And thanks for the shout out for my dad. Not sure if you know that he died about 7 years ago. It is so special when we hear that he is remembered fondly by others. Keep studying, girl! :)