Sunday, July 11, 2010

I have been thinking about writing a blog for a while now, and since I have been so negligent about keeping in touch, this seems like an ideal time to start.   You are probably wondering what things  look like here in North Dakota and  I always feel more connected to my friends when I can see where they live and what kinds of things they are seeing every day.  So join me on a virtual tour of the last month!

We are living here...


until mid-August when the owner returns from overseas and apparently would like her house back!  In the meantime, we looked at dozens of houses to buy.  

We passed on this one...


and decided to go with... 




a spec house!  The only thing we were unable to choose was the kitchen cabinets, so we (I) was immediately thrown into the world of light fixtures, flooring, and paint colors.  You can only imagine how that has been.  Actually, you KNOW what this has been like for me.  I have debated and agonized over every single choice.  



Much of our time has been spent here... 




...watching this.







All three of the kids attended a basketball camp here...



...and Katie and Jacob have become expert climbers...


...at the local rec center.



In our spare time, we have taken in some local sites including a trip to Medora which is the home of Teddy Roosevelt National Park.  It’s about  30 minutes from Dickinson.  Of course, we do have a very opinionated teenager in our midst who does not want to do anything with the family.  When we told him that we were going the park to hike and such we were told, “Nature is gay.”  I am sure that you could hear the sound of our laughter from wherever you happen to be.  Once we got there and fed the lion, he had a great time.  And we are thankful that we have added another memorable quote to the family history. 











We spent the 4th of July...



taking in all the local festivities 

including the parade,



  





the demolition derby,






and our first rodeo.



We have enjoyed some spectacular weather as well as several days that have been much hotter than I ever expected.  Apparently, it gets into the 90’s here on a fairly regular basis.   We have been treated to many 



unbelievable sunsets and...





 a few ferocious thunderstorms.


However, I have saved the most important information for last. I know you have all been concerned about...


my ability to live without




You are wondering how I am surviving the withdrawal and what kind of effect that it must be having on my children, husband and dog.  Am I able to function at all?  Do I get out of bed before noon?   Do I cry daily?   Have I been forced to enter a 12-step program?  Does such a program even exist in a town that has never experienced the joy of a drive-through Starbucks?  Well fear not my faithful friends...



for I have discovered



I’d say we are off to a good start!  

Stay tuned for more....

3 comments:

Amy said...

This is awesome and I am so glad you found serendipity! One more reminder that God is taking care of you my friend! I love the pictures, that sunset is AMAZING! I am so glad you found a house! It looks like it is going to be beautiful! I miss you so much and this makes me feel a little better to see what's going on! Thanks for sharing!
Love ya!
Amy

Jill said...

I'm glad Thomas isn't the only one who has decided that "family outings" are stupid and boring. But, much like Sam, once he gets there, he has a great time. Teenage boys...who can figure then out?

BTW, what is Mark doing there? Law firm, professor, prosecutor, coffee shop owner...?

Jill

Jill said...

I forgot to ask...are you going to have a red wall in the house? We stil have our red kitchen...makes me think of you often!